Monday, October 21, 2013

Mother Vowel Story

Last week I told the kiddos one of my favorite stories! When I was student teaching in first grade, the teacher I was with told me this story and I have loved it ever since. Right now we are using this story to learn the difference between vowels and consonants. We have been talking about how important vowels are and that all words have at least one vowel. Eventually I will use this story to help students differentiate between the short vowel sounds and the long vowel sounds. The kids love this story as much as I do which makes the story even better!


 This is the story of Mother Vowel and her 5 babies.


Baby "A" LOVES apples. She simple cannot eat enough apples, the only problem is that they are way up high in the apple tree so she always points to the tree and says "ă, ă, ă," until she gets an apple. 

Baby "E" is always playing on the computer or listening to music way too loud. When his mother calls him he can hardly hear her and always responds "ĕ, ĕ, ĕ" with his hand up to his ear. Baby "e" sure does frustrate Mother Vowel sometimes!

Baby "I" spends all his time outside playing. Rain or shine Baby "I" is outside playing. He often gets very muddy when he is outside so when he comes inside the house he says, "ĭ, ĭ, ĭ" as he tries to wipe all the icky mud off his clothes.

Baby "O" is the baker of the family. She loves to help her mom make muffins every night. The only problem is that Baby "O" is very impatient and never wants to wait until the muffins cool down to eat them. Baby "O" always puts the muffins in her mouth right when they get out of the oven and this makes her say, "ŏ, ŏ, ŏ" as she tries to cool down her mouth. 

Baby "U" also loves muffins. He loves muffins just a little bit too much! Every time the family makes muffins he always eats WAY too many. Eating all these muffins make his tummy hurt and he says "ŭ, ŭ, ŭ" while moaning and holding his upset tummy. 


 Mother Vowel and her 5 babies are hung in the classroom so students can easily look to the poster if they need a quick reminder of those letter sounds. I have found that this story along with the hand gestures really help students learn and remember these 5 letters and sounds.


I hope you all have a happy Monday!!

 




2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! A retired teacher told me about it last spring, but I didn't know the details! I look forward to using it as I tutor this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can these letter cards be purchased

    ReplyDelete